Tuesday, January 29, 2008

choices

More than ten years ago I decided to stop using disposable razors, and purchased a handle for a *lady's razor* which used disposable blades. This worked for a while, until the handle I had was discontinued, and I could no longer buy blades for it. So I went ahead and bought a new handle, and this also worked for a while, until it became too hard to find blades for it as well. As the years went by, I became increasingly dismayed by the array of gimmicky shaving products available- double, triple, quadruple blades; blades with aloe vera strips; blades that spurt out shaving cream. At the same time, it became harder to find simple razors that use a minimum of packaging and don't become obsolete within a few years. So I went back to disposable razors. Always in the back of my mind I thought I'd like to have a traditional, double-edged razor.

A few months ago while shopping for jewelry parts, I found a metal razor handle in an antique store for seven dollars. I picked it up, and I am happy to say that I bought blades for it the other day. Platinum plated German steel blades, ordered online since the Duane Reade doesn't carry them. I will let you know if this is a suitable option for shaving this lady's legs.


No comments: