Friday, January 9, 2009

the hummus

While making the hummus from the rest of the garbanzo beans I did a quick mental calculation. Both the veggie burgers and the hummus combined only cost around $2.00! Buying them pre-made would have cost between $8.00 and $10.00, and that's only figuring in a four-pack of burgers. (my batch will yield around six, I guess)

Here's my hummus recipe, using rough measurements:

•mash the remaining beans in a medium bowl with a pastry blender.
•add one clove of minced garlic
•whisk about a tablespoon or more of tahini with a dash of olive oil in a small bowl and add it to the mashed beans
•add half a lemon, squeezed
•add a pinch of salt and a dash of cayenne

blend the whole thing together, adding more olive oil to desired thickness. I use a wand blender, and it turns out fine. minced parsley is a good addition also. (add after blending)

No comments: